THE SHORT HISTORY LESSON
July 15, 2012



Hello people, 

I'm back in this modern jungle called our city. Why am I back so early on Sunday? Well, since nothing is normal around here neither my profession is. Therefore, now I have to run to a client of mine to build-up the outfits she is going to take with her in a unplanned vacation. I almost feel like an emergency doctor.

My humble apologies for missing our Friday - Snobbish Advice column. I was madly busy. We will take care of that tomorrow. Until then, it's Sunday, we're relaxed, or at least some of us are (you, I mean you!)  so let's read a little history lesson, shall we?

C'monnn, it's not boring, you'll love it! 


 
 What the Victorians did for your wardrobe

What the Victorians did for us as a society is well documented – from the steam engine and
the photograph, to the sewing machine and the ice cream, the Victorians invented an awful
lot. But less talked about is what they did for fashion – and you might be surprised.

Queen Victoria was an influential woman. Not just as a monarch, but as a woman who
was unafraid of change and risk. She came to the throne at a mere eighteen years old, and
reigned for longer than any other monarch in British history. In many ways, it’s unsurprising
that such a strong fashion sense came to the fore under her reign. Although Victorians
dressed very differently to the way we dress now, there are key elements that remain.

One thing that the Victorians left to us was Levi jeans. In 1873, Levi Strauss launched his
blue denim jeans company, and history was made. Nearly 140 years later, Levi’s jeans are
still fashionable and widely worn all over the world.

The traditional white wedding dress was also a Victorian development. Victoria wore one to
her wedding in 1840, and it was then that the trend of having a white wedding dress really
took off. Although white wedding dresses had been worn before this time, it was the then
Queen of England who popularized the fashion. The basic style has not changed much since
that royal wedding, and that, in itself, says much about how influential the Victorian era
was.

The Gothic style of clothing is obviously much influenced by the Victorians. But Gothic
trends have filtered into high fashion too. Painful looking corsets, crucifixes and dark red
lipstick have become synonymous with popular burlesque entertainment, which was also
developed as a theatrical show in the Victorian era. The corseted look has grown with the
emergence of burlesque as a fashionable form of entertainment, fronted by style icon Dita
Von Teese.

‘Lolita’ fashion is another Victorian allusion. It’s a style of dressing popularized by a
mass trend in Japan – and picked up on runways in the West – where frilled dresses and
a ‘princess’ style attire is referenced in a modern wardrobe.

Victorian style also remains in our footwear. Lace-up boots with lots of tiny eyelets are
reminiscent of Victorian styles, as are ankle boots with side buttons.



aa? What do you think?

p.s. I know you wonder what's with the balloons.





.

2 comentarii:

Smaranda said...

I admire you and the fact that you mentioned the Victorian era just makes me admire you even more

P.S.-When r u gonna finish '' A SERIES OF REALLY STRANGE EVENTS '' ?I'm really looking foreword to read it

Unknown said...

hope you had an amazing weekend! love the dress!

xoxo
Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com